Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Family Court - A sad place to be

Now I am a very positive person. I meditate, find the silver lining in most situations, take good care of myself physically, emotionally and spiritually. So when I entered the 3rd floor of the family court building yesterday, it was not long before I felt assaulted by the negative energy that permeates the air.

The 3rd floor is designated for child support grievances. I was taking my ex to court because he has not paid support in a half year which has left me struggling. Needless to say, the entire floor is filled with angry, frustrated, struggling, resentful, bitter, hostile people and those who are hurt, frightened, intimidated, abused and desperate. Couples were arguing loudly, cursing at each other. Some men, my ex included, were loudly complaining about their wretched ex-spouses and how wronged they are for having to pay anything. Women were crying, some were screaming at times. Angry looks and tensely locked jaws could be seen everywhere.

My ex showed up 2 hours late, so the judge penalized him by scheduling us for the last case of the day. So I sat in this building for 7 hours assaulted by a negative energy that could have pierced the happiest soul.

By the end of the day, all I wanted to do was crawl into bed and cry. And it had nothing to do with my own circumstance. The judge heard our case and I walked out with a settlement that I felt was fair to me and compassionate to him.

I think I wanted to cry because of the exposure to such negative emotions. But there is always the silver lining. It did give me an opportunity to see myself in comparison. How far I have come from being that angry person, out of control and engaging a loud verbal battle with my angry ex…I almost never do that anymore. How peaceful my life is today. My ability to let go and have faith that everything will work out for the best; in God’s time and way, not mine.

So perhaps spending a day in hell has it’s benefits especially when it helped me to see the heaven I have created for myself.



I learned how the process works, found out what I had to do and went through the steps with a ‘let go and let God’ attitude.

No comments: