Thursday, March 5, 2009

Changing directions...all part of the journey

This summer I had an article published on my expereince in the NYS Divorce Courts and thought that it would be a great way to launch a blog with a focus on divorce issues. That went well for a few months, but I quickly realized that my divorce and all it's pain is behind me and to continue writing on the topic, even if to help others, was not good for me. So I fell off the writing wagon for a while.

I took up a creative writing course and have a second blog filled with my poetry, which I have a strong passion for. That was a wonderful expereince, but I realized that I don't tend to buy poetry books or read poetry, but seem to have a strong desire to write it. A good poet must appreciate the entire art and other's works, so perhaps this too is not the correct direction for me.

I read a lot of novels and find that the best ones can be described as poetic prose. When the author 'shows instead of telling' what is going on it adds a wonderful dimension that allows the reader to smell, feel, hear and see what is happening based on his or her own expereince rather than just being told by the author. So now I am considering the possibility of writing fiction in poetic prose. I feel like it is starting to come together. I can write creatively. I certainly have specific messages I would like to get across without 'preaching', and I can do it in a form that I enjoy and that many more people tend to read than poetry.

I think I will still write poetry. I am often drawn to describe an expereince that way. But in terms of moving forward on a path that I hope to lead me into a new chapter of my life and career, I think writing fiction is the way to go.

I will begin to detail my first story next time...
'Til then
Ciao

No comments: